A good new book is a favorite thing of mine. Some of the most delightful moments in the world, in my mind, involve snuggling down with a good read or walking the aisles of a cozy bookstore making a mental list of titles I’d like to crack open. I thought I’d share a few books that I’m reading at the present and a few new titles that I’m anxious to dig into soon.
I typically have 3-5 books going at one time. I like having a variety.
Books I’m Currently Reading:
- Fit to Burst by Rachel Jankovic. This is a perfect companion for any mother. It’s short chapters are filled with encouragement, humor, exhortation, and gospel-centered practical wisdom. And it is all written by a mom of six kids who is in the trenches of motherhood right along with us. Every chapter I read I think, “exactly”, “yep”, or “that’s true”, about 150 times.
- Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Bill O’Reilly. I have had this one sitting on my nightstand for several months now and was finally able to pick it up last week. I’m still in the beginning chapters, but I really enjoy the way O’Reilly writes this book. He shares the details of those days in a relatable way, helping the reader to picture all that was going on at that time, the depth of what Lincoln was going through, and the courageous leader that he was.
- Desiring God by John Piper. This book is older than me, but John Piper’s writing, wisdom, and passion for God is an encouragement and inspiration to believers forever. I read a paragraph or two of this book and spend the entire rest of the day thinking about just that one snippet. The Lord’s goodness and grace is lifted high in the testimony and writing of John Piper. I am grateful the Lord has blessed our world with men like him to learn from.
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. Literally just started this one. It’s moving a bit slower since I’m reading the Lincoln book as well, but I can’t wait to get further into it as all I’ve heard about it is that it’s amazing. I am anxious to learn more about this inspiring, faithful man of God.
- Pleasing People: How not to be an approval junkie by Lou Priolo. This book could literally be called Pleasing People: How not to be Jenny Coobs. Every single chapter I read is like reading my thoughts. Approval, people-pleasing, fear of man — this has been a life-long struggle for me. Reading this book has been a tool of sanctification in my life. Helping me to see my deeply rooted pride and my love for the approval of man, rather than God. My J and I are reading through this book together and it is wonderful. Is it hard to come to grips with how far-reaching this sinful struggle is in my life? Absolutely. But it is far more wonderful to be filled with the hope that comes from knowing the Lord is working in me to make me more like Himself, and to experience the freedom that is found when my sin is no longer holding me in bondage.
Books I Want to Read Next:
- Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home by Gloria Furman.
- Appetite for Life: The Biography of Julia Child by Noel Riley Fitch.
- My Heart in His Hands: Ann Judson of Burma by Sharon James.
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
- 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.
- Margaret Thatcher: From Grantham to the Falklands by Charles Moore.
- Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot by Bill O’Reilly.
And the list will always continue to grow. What great new reads have you come across recently?